This homework assignment was definitely a step up in level of difficulty for me from our previous assignments. I think, at least in part, this was the case because of the change in text. I had gotten used to working through the HeadFirst chapters, so transitioning to this text slowed me down a bit, at least at first. I felt like I was floating along in the beginning (hence the title), just barely understanding what I was doing, until about halfway through the assignment.
The first part of the assignment, exercise 15-1, was useful as an introduction, but I still don’t know exactly what I got out of it because this is from the beginning of my interactions with this text where I didn’t quite follow what was going on. I figured out what boxes and floating were as the assignment continued, but at first, I was a bit overwhelmed by the text so I fiddled around to make things work.
The second part of the assignment, the customized tab menu, was something I felt pretty comfortable with, although my tab menu didn’t quite look exactly like the one pictured in the book. I was not sure how to make it look essentially the same, even after I altered all of the listed elements. I did manage to change everything that we needed to change and I even integrated my sans-serif workhorse font, which I was pretty excited about.
The third section of the assignment, exercise 15-4, was probably the trickiest to figure out but also the most rewarding section, at least from the book. During this exercise, I finally realized what all of the floats and boxes were about when I had to trouble-shoot because I had included the award image in the wrong box. Once I had to go in and look at the code to figure out what my mistake was, I was able to better understand what I was doing in general.
After the third section, I felt ready to get out of the text and move on to the Makers related application portion of the assignment. After realizing that I forgot to link the makers.html page and the makers.css page, I was off to a good start. The hardest part of the fourth section of the assignment was choosing related image content. I took this to be a good sign and just picked up on some of the main words/ideas of the passages for the images. Floating them seemed pretty straightforward after working through the entire chapter in the text.
Ultimately, the fifth section made a lot of sense after working through everything else. I decided to use a percentage to move the scan box over to the right side of the page because I could better understand where exactly I was putting the box. I don’t have any questions in particular after completing this assignment, but I will definitely be looking over this chapter again in the upcoming week or two.